Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Secret is Out

When I got my dog, Pajamas, I had very high expectations, of myself and my dog. I've been through countless obedience classes and even started teaching at the obedience school part time. I have spent hours practicing sit stays and recalls in the park and take Pajamas to agility classes once a week. All of this should have resulted in a very well behaved, well balanced, well socialized dog. And in the eyes of most people I know, this is exactly what I have.
However, I cannot keep it a secret any longer. My dog barks. She barks at children, she barks when she plays, she barks when she's scared, she barks at birds and raccoons and cats and most of all....she barks at me. We've been exiled from the park at the end of my street in the early hours of the morning and the latter part of the evening. During the day I am shunned to the edges of the park, no longer socializing with the other dog owners who congregate there.
So my secret is out and it feels good! From now on I will share the stories of my barking dog in hopes of finding others who share my isolation in parks and embarrassment on the streets. Together we will reclaim those public spaces that have been denied to us! After all barking dogs deserve to play too!

No comments:

Post a Comment