Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Quiet House

I am leaving on vacation this afternoon and had to drop Pajamas off at my Aunt's house yesterday. I cannot believe how empty my house feels with out her there. I find myself watching for her under foot while I do the dishes, even though I know she isn't there. I am careful where I move my feet at the end of the bed at night, so as not to kick her as she sleep. I even found myself regretting having to make the trip outside for a bedtime pee last night before I realized I didn't have to take her out.
I stepped on her bone this morning as I was getting dressed and I smiled despite the pain. A scan of my room reveals just how thoroughly my dog fills my home. Her toy hippo that she carries with her to bed and uses as a pillow on the couch is laying in the middle of the floor, next to her furry pink kong that we play tug with. There are one, two, three, four bones laying around the room as well. The carpet is covered in dirty puppy prints that I haven't been able to remove on my own. I'll need to get a carpet steamer.


I walk up my hallway and see her empty dishes and her empty bed. I hear my upstairs neighbor come in and there is no barking, or growling or scrapping of her nails on the floor. I suppose I should be thankful for this peace and quiet, but all I feel is loneliness.

- First posted June 13th 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment