Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Ball Obsessed!

Pajamas is completely ball obsessed. It started when she was about 6 months old and escalated quickly. We couldn't go to off leash parks because she would latch herself to anyone carrying a Chuck It, jumping around them in circles, barking. It was so embarrassing! I started bringing extra tennis balls with a squeaker inside to use as a decoy when Pajamas stole other dogs balls, as well as tons of treats to reward any semblance of good behavior in these types of situations.
It didn't take long before even the park at the end of my street became an unwelcoming place. I found myself confined to one end of the park away from all the other dog owners who just a few short weeks ago had been my friends. Now they were staring and whispering, or so it seemed to me at least. I started walking down to a park a few blocks away that is much bigger and less busy. Here Pajamas could bark till her heart was content without the judging looks of other dog owners.
The only problem was that I began to loose my own patients with the situation. Every time I bent down to pick up the ball she would bark in my ear. She would get so worked up her whole body was shaking and her eyes were like two black saucers. I was ashamed at my inability to control the situation and very quickly lost my own love for this game that turned my dog into some kind of maniac!
We have come a long way since then. I can now go to an off leash park and fairly confidently walk past another dog owner carrying a Chuck It and not shudder in fear. The problem is far from fixed. It is a constant battle, but it is good to think back to where I started in order to truly see how much work I have put in.

No comments:

Post a Comment